"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain . . . When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."
Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

Thursday, January 7, 2010

So history reiterates itself. Everything different, and likewise all the same. Another heartache, another year. I've read again all I've written here, and it could stand in for the present just as well. The same messages, hopes, tremblings, fears. The same self-told wisdom and warnings. You'd think I would learn.

Different, but the same, but different. When will I stop being surprised by the waywardness of my heart? I rein her in--tell her calmly it's for our own good. But she is an idealist, despite all the cynicism and practicality I can muster, and without warning she gallops off to seek and nestle against the true self of another, all evidence that might dissuade her notwithstanding.

She is in love again, and it looks as hopeless as it always has before. Does she only love those who cannot love her in return?

No comments: